Sunday, February 28, 2010

Social Bookmarking- Delicious.com: NETS- 1 and 5

This assignment is list of my Social Bookmarking tags that are tagged on Delicious.com. Delicious.com allows individuals to "bookmark" their favorite websites to shares with friends, family, or colleagues. The individual who tags the websites can organize the bookmarks according to category. All of these websites I have tagged fall into the broad category of "Ed 422" and "Education." This can be a helpful tool for me to collaborate with future colleagues, students, or parents of my future students.

For this journal entry I have bookmarked all of the assignments on http://delicious.com/aackerman128.

1. National Archives- I selected the exhibit "Every Four Years: Electing a President" to look at. This exhibit looks at presidential elections and the media types used to bring the election into American family's homes. The exhibit included text, photos, graphic images, original artifacts and campaign memorabilia from previous elections. The exhibit also included activities that visitors could participate in such as mock voting and campaigning. I think it is very important to use primary sources whenever they are available. This exhibit (based on the photo) had buttons, hats, and bumper stickers from past elections. I think a lot of students would enjoy looking at things like this to see how campaigns have utilized funds to pay for items such as stickers and buttons in the past as well as the present. Students could also look at the different types of media that brought elections into American family's homes. This would also be a great opportunity to discuss technology because due to the improvements to technology the campaign process has been changed and shaped. Those artifacts and media are small pieces of history that would complement classroom discussion and reading of the textbook.

2. National Education Association (NEA)- I feel that "ensuring that my school has a mission statement that commits to cultural competence as an integral component of all of its activities" is something I could fit into my teaching style. I would gladly help my school develop a mission statement that takes into account cultural competence because I feel it is especially important for all students to feel that they belong at their school and that they are part of the school's community. I also believe I could successfully incorporate "networking with other schools that are developing and implementing culturally competent systems" and "adapt the processes and information that are consistent with my school's needs and interests." I chose this because I think I would be able to network with other teachers at neighboring schools to share ideas that promote cultural awareness and inclusion of al students from all backgrounds. I am very interested in collaborating so I think this would come somewhat effortlessly to me but would make a huge impact in my classroom as well as the entire campus. If I am networking with other teachers at neighboring schools I could also "gather and organize resource materials related to culturally diverse groups for use by school staff." I chose this because I will have a jumpstart on preparing these materials if I am already collaborating and sharing with teachers from different schools. This information would help me and other teachers in my classroom to work more successfully with culturally diverse students that we may or may not have a lot of experience with.

3. Cyber Bullying- I took the cyber bullying quiz for "tweens" or 11-13 year olds. I am planning to teach middle school and decided this was the appropriate quiz for me. I scored myself a "3." I tried to take into account how I was as a "tween" and how I am as an adult. Unfortunately, when I was a "tween" there was not nearly as much internet savvy as there is today among "tweens." I do remember in middle school and early high school being at friend's houses and logging onto AIM and talking to the "cute" boys. It was usually a couple of friends and myself pretending to be just one of us so I gave myself a point for this. I also gave myself two points for posting pictures without friends' consent. I use Facebook and I don't ask my friends if it is okay to post our pictures. I use discretion and never post anything inappropriate but I have never thought to ask them because I assume they are just as eager as I am to see the pictures! Based on my score, I was a "cybersaint" but I am not sure if I would score myself the same way today if I were currently in middle school.

I really enjoyed reading the section on instant messaging. The topic of instant messaging is something I can directly relate to using in middle school. I think instant messaging is a great way to catch up with friends after school, exchange homework assignment if you or a friend forgot to write them down, and exchange questions about homework. Many students have absent parents or parents who cannot help them with homework. As a future teacher, I would appreciate my students helping one another out to clarify assignments or suggest ways to complete assignments. I would hope students weren't doing homework for one another but I would not have a problem with students answering questions for their classmates and helping them. I would even suggest to my classes at the beginning of the school year to exchange contact information with their friends in the class so if they do have homework troubles they can instant message/email/call a peer for help. I read that students can feel isolated if they are not allowed to use instant message. I will take this into consideration and promote a safe use of it in my classroom.

4. Kathy Schrock's Guide for Educators-
- Subject Access: History and Social Studies- I selected this subject access because I am planning to teach middle school Social Studies. I chose the site "Any-Day-In-History" as an area I could use in my classroom. Any-Day-In-History allows one to select a month and a day within the month. Once the day and month have been selected birth dates, death dates,  holidays, and events that occurred on that particular day come up to view.  I will definitely incorporate the Any-Day-In-History page in my classroom. I would like to incorporate "this day in history" in my class and put some events on the board and allow students the opportunity to elaborate on them or answer a question on them for participation points. I think this website will be a great resource for me to use to look up events for the board.

- Teacher Helpers: Bulletin Board Ideas- I selected bulletin board ideas because I feel that environment of a classroom is important for the classroom teacher and the students. I would like my walls to be welcoming and inviting for students. I would like to create a comfortable environment that promotes optimal learning. I think tasteful bulletin boards can do just that. I am a big fan of animals (especially jungle and wild animals) and I would like to use animals as a theme in my classroom. I found a lot of cute ideas on Kathy Schrock's links page. I was especially fond of an animals bulletin board on gigglepotz.com. I was only able to see it for a few seconds though because one must be a member to utilize the resources. It is nice to know that incorporation of an animal theme is something that will be available to me as a teacher.
MI logo
5. Multiple Intelligences- According to the Multiple Intelligences Quiz, my top three intelligences are Interpersonal- 63%, Intrapersonal-56%, and Verbal Linguistic-50%. I watched the video "Multiple Intelligences Thrive in Smartville." I enjoyed the video. I learned that it is really simple to incorporate the different intelligences into one's classroom. The assignment may be Math which is generally thought of to be number smart but teachers can include picture smart and verbal smart, among others, to address the various intelligences in the classroom.




6. Teaching Tolerance- http://www.tolerance.org/activity/reverse-images
Grade: 6-8, Subject: Social Studies, Topic: Reverse Images

The topic of this lesson plan is promoting healthy messages of beauty. The project was called GO GIRLS! and it worked to promote healthier body images and self-esteem in girls. The GO GIRLS! program discusses how the media portrays beauty and how this can lead to eating disorders and unhealthy body images. I could incorporate a similar project in my classroom. At the local middle schools around my house, students from 6-8th grade have are offered a program called Family Life. Family Life talks about body changes middle school students experience, peer pressure, and an introduction to sex education. A GO GIRLS! program could be incorporated into Family Life. I feel it is important to promote self-esteem and self-confidence to middle school age girls because that time in their life can be a very difficult transition if it is not treated carefully.

7. Multicultural Education and Equity Awareness-
Question 3: According to a study by the American Association of Physicians for Human Rights, what percentage of physicians report witnessing a colleague giving reduced care or refusing care to lesbian, gay, or bisexual patients? Answer: 52%. I was shocked by this question for many reasons. Are doctors informed of their patients sexual orientation? Or do doctors find this out based on medical issues the patients have? I would need to look at more research but from the look at this just based on numbers I do not feel that doctors should be deciding medical care based on sexual orientation, if in fact, that is what is going on. People should receive the care they need because they are part of the human race, but because they like women, or men, or both.

Question 4: In a 2007 study, UNICEF rated the treatment of children in the 23 wealthiest counties in the world based on 40 indicators of child well-being. Which two countries received the lowest ratings? Answer: The United States and the UK. I was not surprised at this at all. For the US and the UK being countries of such wealth and power it does not seem that they take care of their citizens. I cannot speak so much for the UK but as a US citizen I feel as though my country is ready to jump into the affairs of neighboring countries and far away countries but that it is not prepared to jump in and fight poverty on its own soil. I would hope that this study would be eye-opening for the US and the UK. Maybe the study would promote an awareness in both countries for the citizens living within the country.

Question 10: Powder cocaine (largely used by wealthy people) and crack cocaine (largely used by economically disadvantaged people) contain roughly the same amount of drug per gram. Under federal law, how much of these substances must an individual be convicted of possessing to be sentenced to a mandatory minimum of five years in prison? Answer: 500 grams of powder or 5 grams of crack cocaine. This question does not surprise me either like Question #4. In the US, crimes committed by the wealthy are not usually taken seriously but smaller crimes committed by minorities or the economically disadvantages are often taken very seriously.

8. Netiquette- 
I scored 9 question correctly on the Netiquette quiz which was equal to 90% or an A-! I think it is important to teach students Netiquette like one would teach them social skills and manners. Students may not know appropriate behavior for the internet. If there isn't someone who can coach them on the right behavior they may never act appropriately. I had to be taught what brb (be right back) means and that ALL CAPITAL LETTERS MEANS YELLING OR SCREAMING! If I was not informed of these things I would not know. I may have thought all capital letters meant excitement. I see the benefits of sharing Netiquette with students :->

No comments:

Post a Comment