Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Journal #4: Keeping the Peace: NETS-5

Levinson, M. . (2010). Keeping the peace. Learning and Leading with Technology37(5), Retrieved February 22,  from 
http://www.iste.org/AM/Template.cfmSection=February_No_5_4&Template=/
MembersOnly.cfm&NavMenuID=4495&ContentID=25237&DirectListComboInd=D
Summary/Reflection:


The article, Keeping the Peace, discusses a school's implementation of a 1:1 laptop ratio and one of the problems that resulted from this. Nueva School began the 1:1 laptop program and immediately experienced problems with iChat, both in class and at home. At school there was instant messages sent among students in class and at home video chat was intruding on the privacy of families. The school and teachers felt overwhelmed with the misuse of iChat. Some staff members even said they would not use the laptops in class because of the distracting nature of programs such as iChat. Eventually, it was decided that the iChat program needed to be blocked from the computers to ensure responsible computer use at the school. The result of the iChat block was immense. Students and parents expressed support for both sides of the iChat block. The result of the iChat block was an implementation of a "boot camp" for students. The "boot camp" is an opportunity for new 6th graders to orient themselves with their laptops prior to the laptops going home. The school also planned to provide more training for staff and teachers, as well as parent education classes to facilitate laptop use between school and home. 


This article was something I felt was very relevant to me as a future teacher. I am planning to teach middle school so I was able to picture myself experiencing a laptop based classroom. I think Nueva School handled the iChat problem midyear as best as possible. I liked how the school did not maintain a full ban the next year. The school considered the problem and opted for an IM program that was limited to student use on the network at the teacher's discretion. I think this was a wise choice. As a middle and high school age student I loved IMing my friends. It was great for a chat after school about the day's events or a fantastic way to share homework assignments questions. I tried to consider which side I would take on iChat issue. I think midyear I would have done what Nueva School did. I would not be opposed to adding the program back the next school year though. I would just plan on providing more training on the use of it and also making sure there were consequences for misuse. 


Question 1:How could other schools avoid a situation like Nueva School experienced with iChat?


I think the experiences of Nueva School provide all schools that are planning to pursue a 1:1 computer ratio with a lot of valuable information. I think if future schools were to read the article on what happened with Nueva School and iChat the schools may pursue a program that does not have chat capabilities on the computer. Another good way for future schools to learn from Nueva School would be to implement a "bootcamp" or class prior to allowing students the privilege of taking the computers home for school/personal use. I think the best choice is to provide proper training for students on responsible computer use. I think banning iChat at Nueva School was necessary because it was done midway through the school year but I believe that school's can prevent something like this from happening with providing training on responsible computer use for students. I think this would be very successful! I think it would make students, teachers, and parents happy. 


Question 2:Would implementing a "bootcamp" for all students at all schools help with technology savvy and  eliminate overuse of certain programs?


I think if all schools were to implement a so-called "bootcamp" for all students it would promote technology savvy and eliminate overuse of certain programs like iChat. Students' "bootcamp" would teach them skills for responsible computer use. I think teachers could instruct students on when using certain programs is appropriate and inappropriate. When students complete the "bootcamp" it would probably be good for them to sign a form that states they will act responsibly when using the school computers. The form could also say that if they fail to act responsibly that certain privileges will be revoked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment